Freitag, 4. Februar 2011

Weekly Review 15

Sorry about the delay, but it was a crazy busy week, especially the last weekend. I managed to get out of Colombo, because there was a literary festival in Galle (a town in the south) and just because I had to. We spent a night in Hikkaduwa, which is a little away from Galle, but has a nice beach. The festival was interesting, although we only got to see one session with three different authors. They read excerpts from their books and answered questions. I had never heard of the authors before, but they all seemed quite interesting. I even wanted to buy one of the books, to get it signed by the author but they had already run out of stock when I wanted to buy one. Nevertheless, I’m going to put it on my Amazon-wish-list.
After the session on Saturday, we rushed back to Colombo, because there was a presentation due on Monday, which still needed some preparation. Therefore Sunday was all about Language Policies and presentations. It was fun, and the topic was quite interesting. The presentation went well, I think, but I’m glade it was the last one for this semester. Only two final exams, a term paper and a think piece (what ever that is) and my semester abroad is over… Quite a lot of work actually, but I still got two more months in Sri Lanka.
Two months to do all kinds of fun things, for example going to the theater, which is part of one of our classes. We have to watch three plays and write about one of them. The first one we saw on Monday was “Colombo, Colombo”. A play solely in Sinhala, which means, that I didn’t understand anything. The play was divided into different episodes, each showing one incident that similarly has happened in Colombo in the past. At least that’s what I was told. I hoped for a more structured storyline, which you were able to follow even without understanding a word (like figuring out who is the hero, what is his problem, why is the lead female actress in trouble, etc.), but no, the play was too complicated to understand it, without understanding anything. The next two plays are going to be in English, so I hope I get more out of them. Tuesday was one of the rare occasions where we played football. Lately we are hardly enough players to have a good match, which is quite sad, cause I really good used to playing at least once a week.
A couple of third year students decided to have dinner together on Wednesday and they invited the three of us to join them, as three of them are participating in this years exchange program from Sri Lanka to Germany. They are going to be in Germany from April to July or August, so it was nice to get to know each other and to answer the questions they had about Germany and the university.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen