Donnerstag, 13. Januar 2011

Weekly Review 12

The New Year has started but I’m sticking to my old habits and therefore I’m one day late on the first Weekly Review of 2011. But as I’m going to cover more then just the last week, it’s not going to be a regular WR anyway.
I left you in 2010 right before I returned to Germany for the Holidays and my birthday. I took a break from Sri Lanka, from blogging and from my everyday live here, to enjoy some time with my friends and my family, and I really did enjoy it. Christmas was really nice, I had a nice little birthday party with my family and a couple of friends and a fun New Years in Frankfurt at a friends place. I think I made the best out of the short time I spent at home, although I didn’t mage to meet up with all the people I wished to see. I wouldn’t have mind to spend another week in cold old Germany, but as Uni started again on January 3rd I had to come back to Colombo. Leaving Germany this time, was different from my first take off in October. It wasn’t as exciting as it was back then, because I already knew what to expect. But it was nevertheless nice to see my Sri Lankan friends and to leave the snow and the cold weather behind. Having a 10 day long winter was quite nice and just the right amount of snow and cold I could stand.
Seeing my family wasn’t the only nice thing about my trip to Germany. I had almost no luggage but was allowed to take 30 kilos with me, which meant, that I could take quite a few things with me, that I missed the last three month in Sri Lanka, like chocolate, jam, salami, more chocolate, a coffee machine, etc. Yes, one could live without all that stuff, and yeah it might be a little crazy to take a coffee machine with you to a foreign country, but hey, I had an empty suitcase and I love coffee.
I arrived back in Colombo on January 3rd in the morning, with the plan to drop off my stuff at the apartment and go straight to university. The plan was good, but turned out to be impossible as the traffic in Colombo was quite heavy and I arrived way too late for class at the apartment. Therefore I took last Monday of and used it to recover from the flight and the journey back. Well, I actually used the whole week to do this, although I went back to class on Tuesday, but I didn’t do much else last week.
This week is midterm week for the fourth year, but as we are not writing any midterm exams in our fourth year classes we had no class on Monday, the usual two hours on Tuesday and only one hour on Wednesday and today. Now we have a weekend ahead of us, but as Peter and I have to write a midterm exam in Sociolinguistics next week, we’ll spend the weekend at home studying. Or at least that’s the plan… I will let you know next week how that worked out and tell you all about the midterm test.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen